to perpetuate the memory and history of our dead

10.2 The Dec 1941 Invasion

Part 1

[be sure to look at Parts 2 – 4 far below]

My co-investigator, Thansawath Saranyathadawong, has provided this essay about the IJA invasion of Thailand and Malaya.

[as translated from the Thai version].

December 8, 1941, this year marks its 80th anniversary. As you know, Japanese soldiers did not have a base in Thailand in the period before the invasion into Thailand.

In the South of Thailand:

Japanese soldiers have a military base in French Indochina. If anyone has any doubts as to why Japanese soldiers are in Vietnam, look at this link:

One of the most important soldiers who made the first invasion into Thailand was a military unit from the Railway Regiment. Japan’s railway soldiers are soldiers trained to specialize in building railways. Building bridges, repairing railways, as well as being able to drive various steam locomotives and make maintenance repairs in ready-to-use conditions,.

The main duty of the railway soldiers to enter Thailand is that soldiers must take over train stations and facilities, as well as steam locomotives, that must be done quickly to prevent enemies from catching up and destroying locomotives or train stations.

Locomotives and train stations were at the heart of train operation in those days. Train stations, as well as tracks had to be in ready-to-use condition. The penetration of infantry until equipment and food support is streamlined and keeps the battle uninterrupted. That would give the Japanese military a huge advantage.

Soldiers from Japan’s Railway Regiment made two in-roads into Thailand. The first point is to land in Songkhla. The second point is to cross the border from Cambodia into Aranyaprathet.

Let’s talk about the landing in Songkhla, located in the northern part of the Malay Peninsula on the Gulf of Thailand. There is a train line departing from Songkhla Station towards Hat Yai Station and on the Thai border with Malaya. Songkhla is a strategic point that can be used as a base for sending troops and nurturing forces for Japanese soldiers to advance into the British colony in the Malay Peninsula.

According to Japanese military records of Jiro Sakai and Taru Hozomi, Japanese authorities have been mobilizing since September 1941 and various review exercises, and soldiers from the 9th Railway Regiment were sent to Haiphong (a city in northern Vietnam today), where soldiers from the Railway Regiment conducted training on various types of steam locomotives. Many soldiers think Japan will launch a battle against southern China.

Mid-month Nov 1941: Soldiers from the 9th Railway Department, 4th Battalion, leave Haiphong for Hainan Island. There they learned battles and livelihoods in tropical forests. Accommodation was in tents and mosquito nets are used for training for soldiers to get used to tropical battles, while soldiers also have to read manuals on survival, including training to climb from large ships to smaller boats.

On December 3, 1941, the 4th Battalion soldiers of the 9th Railway Regiment were divided into three ships (in the event of one of the ships sinking or being attacked). The 4th Battalion’s railway soldiers in other ships are still operational. On the fifth day, he was ordered to prepare 10 troops in support of seizing the train station in Songkhla and seizing trains from Malaysia to Songkhla. On December 8, 1941, at 1:00 a.m., Japanese soldiers began climbing ropes from large boats into smaller boats in strong winds and heading for Songkhla beach. Many soldiers developed seasickness and vomiting along the way.

The 4th Battalion soldiers successfully landed and made their way to Songkhla Railway Station. Some train troops from the 4th Battalion waited for newly deployed tanks to come in support. The first batch of Japanese railway soldiers ran down the road towards the station, eventually found the tracks and followed the tracks to reach the station. As the first batch of Japanese railway soldiers successfully took over Songkhla Railway Station it was in perfect condition, ready to use, not destroyed. After Japanese railway soldiers successfully seized Songkhla Station, the Japanese Commander in Songkhla came to the station to meet with Japanese soldiers to congratulate them.

The Japanese military deployed a defense of Songkhla Railway Station, and soon train soldiers in other categories joined forces. Japanese soldiers surveyed Songkhla Railway Station, found steam locomotives, and checked the suitability of those locomotives. The Japanese military found that the parked locomotive were without any water. The railway soldiers then helped to fill the steam locomotive with a bucket to scoop water and line up to pass it on to pour water into the engine. When the water is added, at dawn the locomotives were ready to go. Japanese infantrymen and train trains run out of Songkhla Railway Station towards Hat Yai Station.

07.00 a.m. A train carrying Japanese soldiers met a Thai military patrol. Japanese soldiers had to stop the locomotive and jump out of the train to find cover, and both sides fired fierce combat. The Thai military provided so much resistance that the Japanese soldiers had to take a steam locomotive back down again. Japanese infantry and railway soldiers and fired shots against Thai soldiers until the afternoon. A ceasefire order from the Thai government came to the Thai military. Fighting between the two sides ended, after which a Japanese soldier wounded in combat was taken to the field’s hospital for treatment. This is called The Battle of Ban Nam Noi Songkhla.

After the Thai government announced the ceasefire, Japanese railway soldiers then drove the locomotive out to Hat Yai. Along the way, the railway was previously dismantled or destroyed. The Japanese Railways completed the repair of the tracks at 4 p.m. The Japanese military train arrived at Hat Yai Station at dusk. On the morning of December 9, 1941, railway soldiers were ordered to inspect the tracks on the border with Malaya. The soldiers cycled to explore the railway line on the Thai and Malaysian borders of Sadao district and reached Padang Besa check-point on December 10, 1941. Train soldiers scoured the railway line deep into Malayain territory to determine if the railway remained operational and at what point repairs were needed.

Train soldiers made inroads to the front lines alongside infantry until December 12. In 1941, train troops arrived in Yhor Bahru, where Japanese soldiers could see Singapore, the Japanese military’s next target for taking control.

From French IndoChina:

Another route that Japanese soldiers have entered Thailand is the eastern Thai route. The Japanese military units that joined the raid in eastern Thailand were soldiers from the 5th Railway Regiment, one of the soldiers, Yoshiharu Ukai, recorded:

18 September In 1941, soldiers of the 2nd Battalion, 5th Railway Regiment, arrived in the Vietnamese city of Saigon and continued on to Cambodia’s Phnom Penh. At the time, all of which were French colonies, train soldiers were trained to drive steam locomotives used in those colonies.

December 7 1941 Japanese soldiers in Cambodia were ordered to prepare. Soldiers prepared their luggage, food, weapons, equipment, tools and movements were carried out by a convoy of more than 160 cars and trucks. All headlights are camouflaged to prevent airborne detection. When the convoy ran for about three hours, soldiers in the convoy were also ordered to wear steel helmets and to be prepared. It was a tense situation, all soldiers are on alert. There was a sound of shots clashing from the direction the convoy was heading, but the sound soon fell silent.

The convoy continued until 1:00 a.m. on December 8, 1941, and soldiers were informed that we were about to cross the border into Thailand. The crossing was quick, there was no fighting. When the convoy crossed a small creek on the Thai-Cambodian-French border, Japanese soldiers also saw unarmed Thai soldiers waving to Japanese soldiers. There was no resistance.

Having crossed the border successfully, the convoy of Japanese soldiers drove day and night towards Bangkok. There are occasionally parking to repair cars along the way because the cars used by the Japanese soldiers were quite old. During the trip, soldiers must eat only biscuits, and crackers. On both sides of the road, they were greeted by Thais.

The convoy of Japanese soldiers arrives at Lumpini Park in Bangkok on December 10, 1941, with a dusty torso during the trip. The Japanese soldiers then stripped off their clothes, jumping into the water in the pool of Lumpini Park. Thesoldiers of the 2nd RailwayBattalion ended up sleeping at Lumpini Park one night.

On December 11, 1941, the main force of the 5th Regiment traveled in a truck capable of running on the tracks (Type-100 truck). An order came to transport the locomotives to the Japanese military on the Southern Line (where soldiers of the 9th Railway Regimen have successfully seized the Southern Railway)  to support Japanese soldiers in further invasions into Malaya and Singapore. In the end, Singapore was taken over by the Japanese on February 15, 1942.

The Military Railway of Japan is considered one of the most important military units in this campaign. And after the Japanese military successfully deployed troops into Thailand a few months later, soldiers from the 5th and 9th Railway Departments were ordered to build the Thai-Burma Railway linking Thailand’s Southern Railway and Burma’s Ye Railway.

latter 9 photos via Pansak Boonchuay

A short video:

Japan chose Songkhla as one of the landing sites knowing that Songkhla had a railway station and railway system that connects to Hat Yai Station. At Hat Yai Station, the railway will connect to the Thai-British rail system in the Malay Peninsula.

This railway will serve as a route to transport supplies to the Japanese soldiers who continue to fight for the capture of Malaysia and Singapore.

Here is the Australian perspective:

Here follows the original Thai version:

8 ธันวาคม 1941 ปีนี้ครบรอบ 80 ปี วีรกรรมทหารรถไฟแห่งกองทัพญี่ปุ่นกับการรุกเข้าสู่ประเทศไทย


ทหารญี่ปุ่นมีฐานทัพในอินโดจีนฝรั่งเศส หากใครมีข้อสงสัยว่าทำไมทหารญี่ปุ่นถึงมาอยู่ที่เวียดนาม กัมพูชา ก็ดูจากลิงค์นี้เลยครับ

ทหารรถไฟของญี่ปุ่น เป็นทหารที่ถูกฝึกให้มีความเชี่ยวชาญในการสร้างทางรถไฟ สร้างสะพาน ซ่อมแซมทางรถไฟ ตลอดจนสามารถขับหัวรถจักรไอน้ำแบบต่างๆและทำการซ่อมแซมบำรุงรักษาให้อยู่ในสภาพพร้อมใช้งาน ถือได้ว่าถ้าถามพูดถึงเรื่องรถไฟทหารหน่วยนี้สามารถทำได้ตั้งแต่รถไฟไม่สามารถวิ่งได้ยันให้รถไฟวิ่งบนรางไปพื้นที่ต่างๆได้เลย


หน้าที่หลักของทหารรถไฟในการรุกเข้าประเทศไทยนั้น คือทหารรถไฟจะต้องรีบเข้ายึดตัวสถานีรถไฟและสิ่งอำนวยความสะดวกต่างๆ ตลอดจนหัวรถจักรไอน้ำ ที่ต้องรีบเข้าไปยึดก็เพื่อป้องกันศัตรูไหวตัวทันและทำลายหัวรถจักรหรือสถานีรถไฟ

เพราะหัวรถจักรและสถานีรถไฟถือเป็นหัวใจสำคัญของการใช้งานรถไฟในสมัยนั้น และหากสามารถยึดได้รวดเร็ว และทำการซ่อมแซมเตรียมการให้หัวรถจักร สถานีรถไฟ ตลอดจนรางรถไฟให้อยู่ในสภาพพร้อมใช้งานแล้ว การรุกคืบของทหารราบตลาดจนการสนับสนุนด้านยุทโธปกรณ์และอาหารจะเป็นไปได้อย่างคล่องตัวและทำให้การรบไม่ติดขัด นั้นจะสร้างความได้เปรียบให้กับกองทัพญี่ปุ่นเป็นอย่างมาก

ทหารจากกรมทหารรถไฟของญี่ปุ่นรุกเข้าสู่ประเทศไทยสองจุด จุดแรกคือการยกพลขึ้นบกที่สงขลา จุดสองคือข้ามชายแดนจากกัมพูชาสู่อรัญประเทศ

ขอกล่าวถึงการยกพลขึ้นบกที่สงขลา สงขลาก่อนนะครับ สงขลาหรือในภาษาอังกฤษเรียกว่า Singora ตั้งอยู่ทางตอนเหนือของคาบสมุทรมลายูฝั่งอ่าวไทย มีเส้นทางรถไฟที่ออกจากสถานีสงขลามุ่งสู่สถานีหาดใหญ่และไปที่ชายแดนไทยกับมาลายูอังกฤษ


จากบันทึกของทหารญี่ปุ่นที่ชื่อ Jiro Sakai และ Taru Hozomi ได้ระบุว่าทางการญี่ปุ่นมีการระดมพลทหารตั้งแต่ช่วงเดือนกันยายนปี 1941 และมีการฝึกทบทวนต่างๆ และทหารจากกรมรถไฟที่ 9 ถูกส่งไปที่เมืองไฮฟอง (เมืองทางตอนเหนือของเวียดนามในปัจจุบัน) ที่นั้นทหารจากกรมทหารรถไฟได้มีการฝึกขับหัวรถจักรไอน้ำหลายๆรูปแบบ ทหารหลายคนคิดว่าญี่ปุ่นจะเปิดยุทธการบุกเข้าทางใต้ของจีน

ช่วงกลางเดือน พ.ย. 1941 ทหารจากกรมรถไฟที่ 9 กองพันที่ 4 ออกจากไฮฟองไปยังเกาะไห่หนาน หรือเกาะไหหลำ

บนเกาะไห่หนานทหารจากกองพันที่ 4 ของกรมรถไฟที่ 9 ได้เรียนรู้การรบและการดำรงชีวิตในป่าเขตร้อน มีการนำเอาเต๊นท์ที่พักและมีมุ้งกันยุงกางไว้สำหรับพักผ่อนเป็นการฝึกให้ทหารคุ้นชินกับการรบในเขตร้อน พร้อมกันนั้นทหารยังต้องอ่านหนังสือคู่มือเกี่ยวกับการเอาตัวรอดและการรบในป่าเขตร้อน รวมไปจนถึงการฝึกไต่ตะข่ายจากเรือใหญ่มาลงเรือระบายพลขนาดเล็ก (ซึ่งเป็นการฝึกซ้อมสำหรับทหารที่จะยกพลขึ้นบก)

ในวันที่ 3 ธันวาคม 1941 ทหารกองพันที่ 4 ของกรมทหารรถไฟที่ 9 และยุทธปัจจัยพร้อมเครื่องมือต่างๆ ถูกแบ่งขึ้นเรือสามลำ (ในกรณีเกิดเรือลำใดลำหนึ่งล่มหรือถูกโจมตี ทหารรถไฟของกองพันที่ 4 ในเรือลำอื่นก็ยังคงสามารถทำงานได้ ถือเป็นการกระจายความเสี่ยงในภารกิจ)

วันที่ 5 เขาได้รับคำสั่งให้เตรียมกำลังพล 10 นายเพื่อสนับสนุนในการยึดสถานีรถไฟที่สงขลาและยึดขบวนรถไฟจากมาเลเซียมายังสงขลาเที่ยว 06.24 (สถานีรถไฟนี้ถูกยกเลิกใช้งานไปในปี 2521)

วันที่ 8 ธ.ค. 1941 กองเรือของญี่ปุ่นมากกว่า 55 ลำเตรียมการยกพลขึ้นบก ในเวลาตีหนึ่งทหารญี่ปุ่นได้เริ่มไต่เชือกจากเรือลำใหญ่ลงเรือระบายพลลำเล็กท่ามกลางคลื่นลมแรง และมุ่งหน้าสู่ชายหาดสงขลา ทหารหลายคนเกิดอาการเมาเรือและอาเจียนระหว่างทาง

ทหารกองพันที่ 4 ของกองกรมทหารรถไฟที่ 9 ได้ยกพลขึ้นบกสำเร็จ และเดินทางไปยังสถานีรถไฟสงขลา ในบันทึกบอกว่ามีการยิงกระสุนวิถีโค้งถล่มทหารญี่ปุ่นที่รวมตัวกันเพื่อจะเข้ายึดสถานีรถไฟสงขลา ทหารรถไฟจากกองพันที่ 4 ส่วนหนึ่งรอให้รถถังที่พึ่งยกพลขึ้นบกมาเพื่อเข้าสนับสนุน

ทหารรถไฟญี่ปุ่นชุดแรกวิ่งไปตามถนนเพื่อมุ่งหน้าไปยังสถานี จนในที่สุดพวกเขาได้พบกับรางรถไฟและเดินตามรางรถไฟเพื่อไปยังตัวสถานี

และทหารรถไฟญี่ปุ่นชุดแรกได้เข้ายึดสถานีรถไฟสงขลาได้สำเร็จ สถานีรถไฟอยู่ในสภาพสมบูรณ์พร้อมใช้งานไม่ได้ถูกทำลาย

หลังจากที่ทหารรถไฟของญี่ปุ่นยึดสถานีสงขลาได้สำเร็จ กงศุลญี่ปุ่นประจำสงขลาพร้อมภริยาได้เดินทางมาที่สถานีเพื่อพบกับเหล่าทหารญี่ปุ่นเพื่อแสดงความยินดี

ทหารญี่ปุ่นได้ทำการวางกำลังป้องกันสถานีรถไฟสงขลา ในเวลาไม่นานนักทหารรถไฟในหมวดอื่นๆก็เข้ามาสมทบ

ทหารญี่ปุ่นทำการสำรวจสถานีรถไฟสงขลา พบหัวรถจักรไอน้ำ และทำการตรวจสภาพความพร้อมใช้งานของหัวรถจักรไอน้ำ ทหารญี่ปุ่นพบว่าหัวรถจักรที่จอดอยู่นั้นไม่มีน้ำอยู่เลย

ทหารรถไฟจึงช่วยกันเติมน้ำใส่หัวรถจักรไอน้ำ ด้วยการใช้ถังตักน้ำแล้วต่อแถวส่งต่อกันเพื่อเทน้ำเติมเข้าไปในหัวรถจักรไอน้ำ

เมื่อเติมน้ำเสร็จในรุ่งเช้า หัวรถจักรก็พร้อมใช้งาน

ทหารราบของญี่ปุ่นและทหารรถไฟโดยสารรถไฟวิ่งออกจากสถานีรถไฟสงขลา มุ่งหน้าสถานีหาดใหญ่

เวลา 07.00 น. รถไฟที่บรรทุกทหารญี่ปุ่นแล่นมาพบกับหน่วยลาดตระเวนของทหารไทย

ทหารญี่ปุ่นจำเป็นต้องหยุดหัวรถจักรและกระโดดออกจากตัวรถไฟเพื่อหาที่กำบัง และทั้งสองฝ่ายก็ยิงต่อสู้กันอย่างดุเดือด


ส่วนทหารราบญี่ปุ่นและทหารรถไฟได้ทำการตรึงพื้นที่และยิงต่อสู้กับทหารไทยจนถึงช่วงบ่าย คำสั่งหยุดยิงจากทางรัฐบาลไทยก็มาถึงทหารไทย การยิงต่อสู้ระหว่างสองฝ่ายจึงยุติลง หลังจากนั้นมีการนำตัวทหารญี่ปุ่นที่ได้รับบาดเจ็บจากการต่อสู้ส่งโรงพยาบาลของสนามเพื่อรักษาตัว

วีรกรรมการรบของทหารรถไฟของญี่ปุ่นและทหารไทยมีชื่อเรียกว่าสมรภูมิที่บ้านน้ำน้อย สงขลา

หลังจากที่รัฐบาลไทยประกาศหยุดยิง ทหารรถไฟญี่ปุ่นก็ขับหัวรถจักรออกไปยังหาดใหญ่ ในระหว่างทางพบว่าทางรถไฟถูกรื้อหรือถูกทำลายไปก่อนหน้านี้ ทหารรถไฟญี่ปุ่นจึงทำการซ่อมแซมรางรถไฟจนแล้วเสร็จในเวลา 16.00 น. รถไฟของทหารญี่ปุ่นเดินทางถึงสถานีหาดใหญ่ก็พลบค่ำพอดี

รุ่งเช้าวันที่ 9 ธันวาคม 1941 ทหารรถไฟได้รับคำสั่งให้เดินทางไปตรวจรางรถไฟแถวชายแดนไทย มาเลเซีย

ทหารก็ได้ปั่นจักรยานไปสำรวจเส้นทางรถไฟตรงชายแดนไทยและมาเลเซียที่อำเภอสะเดา และไปถึงด่านปาดังเบซาในวันที่ 10 ธ.ค.1941

ทหารรถไฟเดินทางเข้าสำรวจเส้นทางรถไฟลึกเข้าไปในดินแดนมาเลเซีย เพื่อตรวจสอบว่าทางรถไฟยังคงมีสภาพใช้งานได้หรือไม่และมีจุดใดที่ต้องทำการซ่อมแซม

ทหารรถไฟได้ทำการรุกคืบไปยังแนวหน้าควบคู่ไปกับทหารราบ จนในวันที่ 12 ธ.ค. 1941 ทหารรถไฟก็มาถึงเมืองยโฮร์บาห์รู ซึ่งที่เมืองนี้ทหารญี่ปุ่นสามารถมองเห็นเกาะสิงคโปร์ซึ่งเป็นเป้าหมายถัดไปของกองทัพญี่ปุ่นในการเข้ายึดควบคุม


หน่วยทหารญี่ปุ่นที่ร่วมบุกเข้าทางตะวันออกของประเทศไทยคือทหารจากกรมทหารรถไฟที่ 5 ซึ่ง หนึ่งในทหารที่ชื่อ Yoshiharu Ukai ได้บันทึกว่า

18 กันยายน 1941 ทหารของกองพันที่ 2 กรมทหารรถไฟที่ 5 ได้เดินทางถึงเมืองไซง่อนของเวียดนามและเดินทางต่อไปยังพนมเปญของกัมพูชา ซึ่งตอนนั้นทั้งหมดเป็นอาณานิคมของฝรั่งเศส ทหารรถไฟถูกฝึกให้สามารถขับหัวรถจักรไอน้ำที่ใช้ในอาณานิคมฝรั่งเศส

ในช่วงต้นเดือนธันวาคม 1941 นายทหารแจ้งให้ทางผู้ใต้บังคับบัญชาเขียนพินัยกรรมหรือสิ่งที่อยากจะบอกกับครอบครัวไว้ เพราะทหารเหล่านี้จะต้องทำภารกิจที่สำคัญ

วันที่ 7 ธันวาคม 1941 ทหารญี่ปุ่นที่กัมพูชาได้รับคำสั่งเตรียมพร้อม ทหารเตรียมสัมภาระ อาหาร อาวุธ อุปกรณ์ เครื่องมือ ต่างๆ และมีการเคลื่อนทัพโดยขบวนรถยนต์และรถบรรทุกกว่า 160 คัน มีการพรางไฟหน้ารถทุกคนเพื่อป้องกันการตรวจพบจากทางอากาศ


เมื่อขบวนรถวิ่งไปได้ประมาณ 3 ชั่วโมง ทหารในขบวนรถก็ได้รับคำสั่งให้สวมหมวกเหล็กและบรรจุกระสุนและให้เตรียมพร้อม ทหารทุกคนต่างปฎิบัติตาม สถานการณ์ตึงเครียด ทหารทุกคนอยู่ในภาวะตื่นตัว

มีเสียงการยิงปะทะจากทิศทางที่ขบวนรถกำลังมุ่งหน้าไป แต่ไม่นานเสียงก็เงียบหายไป

ขบวนรถมุ่งหน้าต่อจนถึงเวลา 01.00 น. ของวันที่ 8 ธันวาคม 1941 มีการแจ้งทหารในขบวนว่าเรากำลังจะข้ามชายแดนสู่ประเทศไทย

การข้ามชายแดนสู่ประเทศไทยเป็นไปอย่างเรียบร้อยไม่มีการต่อสู้แต่อย่างใด และเมื่อขบวนรถข้ามห้วยเล็กๆซึ่งเป็นเขตแดนไทย-กัมพูชาฝรั่งเศส ทหารญี่ปุ่นก็เห็นทหารไทยที่ไม่ติดอาวุธ ทำการโบกมือทักทายทหารญี่ปุ่น

เมื่อข้ามชายแดนมาได้สำเร็จ ขบวนรถของทหารญี่ปุ่นขับทั้งกลางวันกลางคืนมุ่งหน้าสู่กรุงเทพมหานคร มีการจอดซ่อมรถตามรายทางบ้างบางครั้ง เพราะรถที่ทหารญี่ปุ่นใช้นั้นมีสภาพค่อนข้างเก่า ในระหว่างการเดินทางทหารต้องกินบิสกิตประทังความหิว ในระหว่างสองข้างทางก็ได้รับการต้อนรับจากคนไทยเป็นระยะๆ

ขบวนรถของทหารญี่ปุ่นถึงสวนลุมพินีในวันที่ 10 ธันวาคม 1941 กรุงเทพมหานคร ด้วยเนื้อตัวมอมแมมจากฝุ่นระหว่างการเดินทาง ทหารญี่ปุ่นจึงถอดเสื้อผ้าเหลือตัวล่อนจ้อนกระโดดลงเล่นน้ำในสระของสวนลุมพินี ส่วนการขับถ่าย ทหารญี่ปุ่นต้องเข้าคิวเพื่อใช้บริการห้องน้ำในสวนลุมพินี

ทหารรถไฟของกองพันที่ 2 ส่วนหน้าได้นอนที่สวนลุมพินีหนึ่งคืน

วันที่ 11 ธันวาคม 1941 กำลังหลักของทหารรถไฟกองพันที่ 2 กรมทหารรถไฟที่ 5 ได้เดินทางด้วยรถบรรทุกที่สามารถวิ่งบนรางรถไฟได้ (รถบรรทุกType100) ทหารญี่ปุ่นก็ได้เข้าตรวจสอบอาคารเก็บหัวรถจักรำอน้ำในกรุงเทพ เพื่อที่จะนำหัวรถจักรไปใช้งานขนส่งให้กองทัพญี่ปุ่นในเส้นทางสายใต้ (ซึ่งมีทหารของกรมทหารรถไฟที่ 9 ทำการยึดเส้นทางรถไฟสายใต้ได้สำเร็จแล้ว) ทั้งหมดเพื่อสนับสนุนทหารญี่ปุ่นในการรุกเข้าสู่มาเลเซียและสิงคโปร์ต่อไป

และในท้ายสุดสิงคโปร์ถูกญี่ปุ่นเข้ายึดได้ในวันที่ 15 กุมภาพันธ์ 1942


และหลังจากที่ทหารญี่ปุ่นยกพลขึ้ยบกเข้าสู่ประเทศไทยได้สำเร็จไม่กี่เดือนถัดมาทหารจากกรมรถไฟที่ 5 และ 9 ก็ได้รับคำสั่งให้ก่อสร้างทางรถไฟสายมรณะที่เชื่อมเส้นทางรถไฟสายใต้ของประเทศไทย และทางรถไฟของพม่าสายเย เมาะละแหม่ง เข้าด้วยกันเป็นระยะทาง 415 กิโลเมตร ผ่านป่าเขา แม่น้ำลำธาร หุบเหว หน้าผา และทำให้มีผู้เสียชีวิตจากการก่อสร้างนับแสนคน

Part 2

From my co-investigators at the Death Railway Interest Group (DRIG):

8th December 2021 is the 80th anniversary of the landing of Japanese troops on the shores of Southern Thailand and the North East Coast of Malaya (Kota Baru)

Not known to many, it was the beginning of the Pacific War of World War II and took place before the attack on Pearl Harbor.

To commemorate the day and the little known brave resistance put up by the Thai Army and Police in the initial stages in Chumpoon, the Japanese TV station NHK has produced a special program to document and publicise this WWII history in Thailand: Thailand Remembers Scars of War

However, Malaya saw much more drastic events but not a whimper here.

In Malaya, the resistance was put up by the British Indian Army on the shores of Kota Baru while the commonwealth contingent which comprised British, British Indian Australian, New Zealanders and Malayan troops resisted the invasion from the north until they were driven down the peninsula and into Singapore. However, such a milestone in the history of our nation goes unnoticed by local media and official circles, as if Malaya was never a part of those turbulent period. It is time we take stock of our history and heritage, however unpleasant, and educate the next generation where we have come from.

Part 3 At Prachuab Kiri Kan & An Manao:

Less than four hours after crippling the US fleet at Pearl Harbor, tens of thousands of Japanese troops landed on Thai shores in their campaign to conquer Southeast Asia. Like the attack on Hawaii, the invasion caught the nation unprepared, and the Thai government led by Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsongkram quickly sought a ceasefire.

But while the rest of the country laid down arms, Srisak and a small band of 120 soldiers at the Ao Manao airbase resisted the invaders for 33 hours, unaware of Bangkok’s capitulation. Over a third would die by the end of the battle. Distinguished by their courage in the face of overwhelming odds, they remain the only air force unit to be awarded with the Medal of Honor to date.


Rain was falling on a recent visit to Ao Manao – Lime Bay, in English – on a recent afternoon. The bay stretches, from south to north in a long curve, with its northern reach curling eastward to end at the foot of Khao Lom Muak, a 300-meter limestone mountain that towers over the harbor. The bay is now under the military jurisdiction of the Wing 5 base, the home of a squadron responsible for guarding the airspace over Prachuap Khiri Khan Province. It sits on the western side of the Lom Muak peak.

There is only one air force-owned hotel on the beach. Driving north toward the bay from the hotel, one would pass a small hill on the left – Wua Ta Lueak – before the road starts to curve sharply along with the beach toward Lom Muak. It’s here that the Japanese landed, in full view of these two flanking hills. After passing through a checkpoint at the base entrance, the road runs north through the base, leading to the beach of another bay, Ao Prachuap. The road then continues along the coast toward the seaside town of Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Ao Manoa today

Unlike the wide expanse of the Ao Manao, the sea in Ao Prachuap is interrupted by a chain of three islands. From February to July every year, a midday low tide exposes a long shoal that connects the islands together with the mainland. But the sea in the two bays would have been at high tide that fateful December morning. “It means the invading force could land their barges very close to the shore,” Sumalee Posri, a curator at the base’s war museum, said as she led a tour. “The Japanese must have done their research.” Facing Ao Prachuap is a group of buildings and monuments forming the museum complex. They include a memorial honoring the airmen who died fighting the Japanese on this shore. Their enemies were buried in unmarked graves beneath the trees along the beach. A Thai styled shrine was erected for their souls.

Sumalee has been curating the museum for 47 years. In the early years of her career, she remembers families of the Japanese dead visiting the beach and lighting incense in rituals to bring their spirits home. Those pilgrimages trickled to a stop many years ago. Throughout her career, Sumalee has interviewed survivors of the battle to describe to visitors what happened that day. Some interviews were recorded and put on display at the museum. An invaluable anecdote, as many veterans have died. “She’s supposed to retire five years ago, but we couldn’t find a replacement for her,” Wing 5 commander Col. Anirut Ruthrattorn said. “So we asked her to stay.”

Every year the battle is commemorated at the base. The veterans also attended the event, though their number had dwindled in recent years due to illness and deaths. In the latest ceremony, only one was well enough to show up: Prachuap Chalardpad. He’s one of only three veterans still alive today. Other two are Suan Pongsiri and Choi Lodthanong. Srisak died in May 2017. He was 100 years old. In a recent visit to Choi’s family home in Sam Roi Yod district, the 98-year-old veteran was too unwell to answer a reporter’s questions. On a wall hangs a portrait of Choi as a young man in army uniform. Another shows him and other veterans at a gathering in Wing 5 base.

Despite the yearly fanfare at the base, the officials apparently overlooked its museums, which are now in disrepair. Visual effects meant to recreate the fighting no longer function. Several artifacts are missing. The air force hasn’t approved a maintenance fund for years, Sumalee explained.


The invasion in December 1941 came as a surprise to many Thais not because war at last came to Thailand. The government under autocrat Plaek Pibulsongkram spent months drumming up a militarist rhetoric, telling the population to prepare for war and sacrifice for their country. The surprise was who Thailand would end up facing as the adversary. Many people expected to fight the Western powers – French or British, perhaps – not Japan.

 “Srisak once told me he knew war was coming, but he didn’t think it would be the Japanese,” Sumalee said. “Thailand and Japan were allies.” Friendship between the two nations was forged after Thailand invaded French-held Indochina in 1941 to reclaim territories it lost half a century ago. After Thai armies won a series of victories, Japan – a superpower at the time – stepped in to mediate a ceasefire agreement, which carved up parts of Indochina and handed them over to Thailand. That helping hand convinced much of the public that Thailand was better being aligned with Japan, who was calling on Asian nations to unite within its “Co-Prosperity Sphere” and rise up against the Western colonizers.

Leaders in the government and armed forces also had close ties to Japan, said Chalong Soontravanich, who teaches history at Chulalongkorn University. Japan not only trained Thailand’s corps of officers and pilots, but also sold the nation three submarines.

“I think the Thai armed forces were fully aware that Japan’s military might was vastly superior,” Chalong said in an interview in the century-old university, one of the buildings seized by the Japanese to house its troops in Bangkok during the war. “Japan was recognized as a superpower after its victory in the Russo-Japanese War.” But behind the guise of cooperation, Japan plotted invasion. Agents posing as tourists rented fishing boats to survey the coasts and measure their depths. Japanese construction companies and pharmacies stockpiled materials for the invading armies, while photography workshops collected maps and pictures of strategic landmarks.

“There are many anecdotes about when the war broke out, these professionals changed from their gowns into army uniforms,” Chalong said. “I think the Thai authorities were aware that Japanese spies had infiltrated their country, but they couldn’t do anything.” At the Wing 5 base, Sumalee recounted a story passed to her by a veteran. Like many other units, the squadron in Ao Manao was trained by Japanese pilots. After the training was completed, one Japanese instructor gave ominous parting words to his Thai students: We shall meet again.


Wars and battles were probably the last thing on people’s minds on the eve of the invasion, because it was a time for festivities. Fairs to observe Constitution Day – Dec. 10 – already kicked off early in some parts. The holiday marks the first formal charter installed after Plaek and other coup makers overthrew absolute monarchy nine years earlier. “When November came, all we talked about was the Constitution Day fair and Miss Thailand pageant,” Sorasai Paengsapa, a Chulalongkorn student at the time, wrote in his memoir. “We didn’t see any sign of war or enemy, north or south. The atmosphere was of joy.”

But while Bangkok’s streets were full of lights and revelers, the small town of Prachuap Khiri Khan would have most likely slept through the night. It had no cinema or theatre. After all, it was little more than a stop on the rail line connecting the capital with the south, with an airbase to guard Thailand’s border with Burma, which lays just 20 kilometers west.

Unbeknownst to the Thais, a Japanese armada of battleships, cruisers and landing craft had left a port in Vietnam and sailed for Thailand two days earlier. On the night of Dec. 7, the invasion force somehow slipped past a Thai navy patrol, led by the HTMS Sri Ayudhya, and separated into seven fleets, each bound for provinces along Thailand’s gulf coast.

One such force anchored east of Lom Muak Hill, where 3,000 soldiers boarded landing barges to storm the beaches of Prachuap and Manao bays. The time was 4am. In the dark, the Japanese infantry disembarked on Prachuap Beach and spread throughout the town before policemen at their station shot at them, waking the townspeople from their slumber. Grabbing whatever firearms they could, the police and the residents sought cover along the town’s main street and fired at the Japanese. The road was later renamed Su Suek – Fighting a War – to mark the brief shootout. The invaders quickly defeated them, taking the town’s railway and telegraph station. One objective was down. Another force was beating against rough December waves toward the second goal: the Wing 5 air base.


That’s when Srisak and his fishing group spotted the enemy. He alerted the commander, Maj. Prawat Chumsai, who ordered a fight. Srisak and Prawat went back a long way. Srisak said in his recorded interview that he signed up for the air force after he saw a warplane land in his hometown of Chiang Mai as a young boy. It was the first time he ever saw a plane, and the sight left him fascinated. As he learned later, Prawat was the pilot of that plane.

Japanese soldiers disembark on a beach in Pattani province, Dec. 8, 1941.

Apart from a handful of pilots, Prawat’s men were low-ranking troops belonging to arkatsayothin, an air force unit trained in infantry tactics to protect airfields from enemy attack.  Except for Prawat, who flew in missions during the Thai-Franco War, they had no combat experience. The base’s small arms consisted of only about 100 Arisakas, a bolt-action rifle made by Japan, as well as nine machine and submachine guns. But they weren’t exactly caught off guard. Sensing war might come to Thailand, the garrison had staged combat drills and built basic defenses around the base. Machine gun nests were placed on Lom Muak and Wua Ta Lueak hills, offering a sweeping field of fire that covered the airstrip and Manao Bay.

“We knew there would be a war. We already made preparations,” veteran Jong Maliwan says in a videotaped interview shown at the museum. “Whether it would be Japanese or farangs, we didn’t know. Back then, we slept on the beaches and monitored the bay.”  After hearing the horn blown by Prawat, the defenders rushed to their positions. One group manned a machine gun team on Wua Ta Lueak. Another set up defense inside the airbase. A small number of policemen and Boy Scouts also joined them. And then they waited. It’s only after first wave of invaders left their landing vessels that they opened fire. “We fired at them from our hiding spots on the shore. I don’t know how many of them died,” Jong recalled. “They attacked us, so we had to fight. We didn’t know who was who.”

The odds were initially in favor of the defenders. Using trees as cover, they sprayed gunfire at the Japanese, who were exposed as they waded in the water. But the situation turned grim for the Thais. The attackers, determined to take the base, braved the hail of bullets and pushed ashore. More Japanese troops also moved south from Prachuap town and attacked. The base’s sentry post was soon overrun, along with its radio station. As the Japanese closed in on the airfield, the pilots tried to fly their aircraft away. They paid for it with their lives. Two pilots, Prom Chuwong and Jamnian Variyakul, were shot and killed as they were taxiing on the runway. Another was severely wounded, stabbed by a bayonet. Only one pilot, Maen Prasongdee, managed to fly off with a Hawk-3, a bullet lodged in his back. He turned his US-built naval biplane north toward the capital to seek help, but his engines soon cut out and forced him to land in front of the king’s summer palace in Hua Hin. The base wasn’t only home to the fighting men, but also their families, who by then were cowering behind whatever shelter they could find. Two women – an officer’s wife and a housekeeper – were struck and killed by stray bullets. Some women and children had been moved up to Lom Muak hill, where they watched the hopeless battle unfold. “When the Thai soldiers opened fire, we saw it,” Jamrern Sangkaew, an airman’s daughter who took shelter on the mountain, said in a 2012 interview. “There were splashes. The Japanese were falling down from their boat … the beach was soaked in blood.”


The frontlines kept shrinking as more Japanese troops closed in. The fighting was so intense that bayonet brawls broke out in some places. Srisak recalled engaging in such fights three times. Fatalities piled up, including a 15-year-old Boy Scout, Boonying Sirisathien, who was shot dead while racing from one foxhole to another with a supply of ammo. Elsewhere, Japanese forces triumphed. Apart from Ao Manao, all the other beachheads had fallen. By late morning, they reached Bangkok’s outskirts after landing in the neighboring town of Samut Prakan.

At about 10am, the cabinet convened an emergency meeting where they debated the course of action. After frontline briefings poured in – a report from Wing 5 mistakenly said they were under attack from “British-controlled Burmese troops” – the government concluded there was no point in more fighting.

Japanese troops enter Bangkok in the afternoon of Dec. 8, 1941.

“We would manage to keep fighting for less than a year, and once we are defeated, militarily like this, our defeat will turn us into their slaves,” Deputy Prime Minister Adul Aduldejjarus told the meeting. “We will become their colony, 100 percent.” The meeting ended when Plaek agreed to call a ceasefire on the condition that Thailand would only allow “safe passage” to Japan – and not join or aid its wars against the Allies. Under Japanese pressure, Plaek would later renege on that condition and declare war on the United States and Britain a month later. The ceasefire was signed at 11:55am. Orders to stand down immediately went out to all fronts. Except for one place.


Unaware of the order, the airmen of Wing 5 kept up their stubborn fight, though each hour that passed saw ground lost one yard at a time. When it was clear they could not hold the base, wing commander Prawat ordered the buildings and fuel depot burned before retreating to make a last stand at the foot of Lom Muak Hill. More than 14 hours had elapsed since the Japanese had made landfall. Fighting receded when night fell.

In the morning, Prawat must have realized that no help was coming. Nevertheless, an order went out at about 8am for the defenders to cheer news that the navy was almost there to relieve the siege. It wasn’t true, but Prawat hoped their cheering would scare the Japanese and delay their final assault.

But the Japanese did not attack. In his anecdote, Srisak recalled seeing someone in the Japanese trench suddenly raise his hand in a gesture of parley and walk toward the Thai side. Srisak guessed the officer was at least a lieutenant colonel, most likely the commander of the besieging force himself. Shaking his hand, the enemy commander offered him an apology. “He spoke in sketchy English. He said, ‘Sorry. Our enemies: Burma, English, American. Thailand, Nippon: friend. Tomodachi,’” Srisak said. He recognized the Japanese word for friend.

The officer then took out a sheet of paper. It was an order signed by the Prime Minister telling the Wing 5 force to lay down their arms. A formal ceasefire ceremony was held at noon inside the base, where Prawat exchanged bayonets with his Japanese counterpart. Thirty-three hours after the first gunshot rang across Ao Manao, the battle was over.

A stone sculpture depicts the Dec. 9, 1941, armistice at Ao Manao.


Their defiance came with a cost. Of the 120 soldiers holding the base, 38 were killed, in addition to a policeman, a Boy Scout and two civilians. Japanese losses were estimated much higher, between 200 and 400 personnel. Thailand would remain under Japanese occupation for four years until Japan surrendered to the Allied forces in September 1945. Throughout the war, more than 5,700 Thais lost their lives, many of them caught in Allied bombing campaigns.

Ao Manao wasn’t the last resistance offered, as an underground movement called Free Thais was formed soon after the invasion. At the risk of firing squads, the volunteers spied on Japanese troops’ movement, passed messages between Allied forces, rescued downed pilots and smuggled weapons to prepare for an uprising against Japanese invaders. The echoes of the war are still heard today, as Thai work crews or scavengers still have to contend with unexploded ordnance dropped during the conflict. “The Allies saw us as enemies, which wasn’t a surprising thing,” Chalong the historian said. “But it was still fortunate that Thailand didn’t suffer as much as many countries … because we were out of bombing range once the Japanese invaded Burma.”

Prawat and his band of soldiers have somehow escaped popular culture. While there have been movies, TV dramas and fictional written accounts of the Japanese invasion of Thailand, none of them depicted the battle of Ao Manao.

Names of the fallen airmen are inscribed at the foot of the memorial.

But the war is still remembered every year in Prachuap Khiri Khan, where a military parade is held every Dec. 8 on its anniversary. Air force commanders lay wreaths and the base’s battle flag – upon which its medal of honor was pinned – is brought out for display. And the story is still retold to countless visitors to the war museum at the base, which opens to the public every weekend. Most of them come in busloads. In one recent Saturday, Sumalee the curator talked to a reporter during a lull between two tours: one for army officers from another base and the other for schoolchildren from Chumphon province. “When you’re done taking photos, please gather around,” a schoolteacher said to the kids in front of the monument dedicated to the “heroes of Wing 5.” Their guide today was another air force officer in the base. After the group of schoolchildren quieted, he began reciting the tale of heroism that the garrison here must have heard a hundred times.

“On this beach in December 1941…”

Extracted from:
Military officers at Wing 5 Air Base in Prachuap Khiri Khan lay down wreaths in memory of the Thai soldiers who died fighting Japanese troops when the Empire of Japan invaded Thailand and its neighbors on this day 80 years ago, or Dec. 8, 1941.

Part 4
Posted by เกษม ลิมะพันธุ์ on FB 8 DEC 2021 as translated from Thai:

Historical Park Museum Located in the area of Wing 5, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province. Collection of stories about the history of World War 2 when the Japanese landed at Ao Manao on December 8, 1941.

Many people over the age of 90 who live remember the world’s most important events. That was World War II, especially Thailand, and the events of Japanese troops landing in many areas, thwarted by persecution weapons, a persecution for us to learn a lot.

The 5th Air Force Squadron fought the Japanese as they landed ay Ao Manao.

A slightly different look at the pre-war politics: